Congress president Rahul Gandhi on Thursday set up as many as 9 committees to manage its campaign in the poll-bound state. Former chief minister Ashok Gehlot will be heading the coordination panel and state party chief Sachin Pilot will chair the state election committee. This seems to be an effort to strike a balance between the two chief ministerial aspirants in the state. The state assembly has 200 members of which only 26 are from the Congress. However, the party’s fortunes appear to be improving as was evident in its huge victory in the by-elections to the Alwar and Ajmer Lok Sabha constituencies and the Mandalgarh assembly seat in February this year.
- AICC secretary Harish Chaudhary will head the party’s manifesto committee.
- Ajmer MP Raghu Sharma will chair the campaign panel.
- Raghu Meena, who is deputy leader of the opposition in the assembly, will be the convenor of the state election committee.
- All senior leaders from the state are part of the state election committee, including, Girija Vyas, Mohan Prakash and C P Joshi.
- Dr CP Joshi, a former union minister, will also head the publication and publicity committee.
- Lachhmangarh legislator Govind Singh Dotasra will head the media and coordination committee.
- Former Lalsot legislator Parsadilal Meena will take care of the transport and accommodation committee.
- Rajasthan Mahila Congress chief Rehana Riaz has been appointed as head of the protocol committee.
- The disciplinary committee will be headed by former Rajasthan education minister Bhanwarlal Meghwal.
The Congress is reportedly confident of winning Rajasthan and sources say it is for this reason the party did not actively try to woo Mayawati for an alliance in the state.